Saturday, September 09, 2006
Posted at 4:56 PM
After listening to Still Fantasy album for a few hours, it's time to give my comments
To read chinese characters: Click view on the menu toolbar > Encoding > UTF-8
夜的第七章/Twilight's Chapter Seven - I feel it's a real pity that this is the 2nd promotional song of this album because there's so much Jay flavour in it. It totally brings out Jay, with the signature piano at the end of every bar with a tinch of R&B and the rap. I love the glockenspiel he used in the introduction of the song and the strings/violins after every chorus. And for this song, the key was raised twice which brings out a little eeriness. And his falsetto at the last chorus is done pretty well too. The song ends with the piano and the a touch of the pizzicato strings is interesting too. With the use of a female voice in the chorus sounded alright to me, but I think if he had sung it instead the song might be better.
听妈妈的话/Listen to Mother's Words - This is rather a light hearted song with Jay telling the kids to listen to their mother. It's a very sweet song with a simple melody which reminds listeners to the songs in Fantasy album. And the tune will always ring in the head even if you only listened it to only once.
千里之外/Faraway - I was watching the video where he sung the song at the MTV concert about a week back and I was really suprised that he blended in Hair Like Snow's chorus into Faraway's chorus and it totally fits in the tune. So needless to say, the song is a continuation of Hair Like Snow. And not forgetting the rapping after the first chorus which is also similar to Hair Like Snow. And his vocals improved in this song too. Vincent Fang's lyrics is beautiful which brings the song out alot more. But Fei Yu Qing's voice is definitely much better than Jay. Overall, though it's very normal, it's a very nice chinese-styled ballad.
本草纲目/A Herbalist's Manual - This song has a little tinch of techno with Jay experimenting some electric stuff here. A catchy song with Jay rapping pretty fast. I like the "doink" effects used in there too. The ending is pretty interesting using the pan flute as the main instrument as the rhythm goes on.
退后/Retreat - This song reminds me of Excuse without the much stronger electric guitar and base. It's definitely going to be a popular KTV song and I love the piano in it. Some of the parts reminds me of An Jing too. But it's a real pity that he didn't add any special stuff in the last chorus. I always like how he could change somewhere in the ballad and make it more special. But this song will appeal to the masses definitely.
红模仿/Popular Imitation - Once again, Jay shows his fast rapping skills. I have not throughly read through the lyrics of the song, but I did hear very intersting words in the song. The introduction is pretty cute too, with someone asking Jay when did he learnt the guitar and he replied that he knew it once he was born. The song is very interesting with him adding the "Aiyo aiyo" somewhere towards the ending of the song. A very Jay song too.
心雨/Heart's Rain - Another heart wrenching song by Jay. I really love the introduction of the song. The strings makes the whole song very mellow. The blending of strings throughout the ballad was very nicely done too, but there's nothing special about in the song. Maybe he should have raised a key at the last chorus of the song. I think Jay could have added something else to make the song more outstanding. But his signature "Whoo" is found somewhere in the song.
白色风车/White Windmill - The introduction definitely reminds me of All the Way to the North, but it's less heavy. Actually I would think that this song is a combination of All the Way to the North and Excuse because of the electric guitar and strong base used. I really like the strings used in this song too. I've always like him blending the strings in all of his ballads. While listening, you can picture Jay singing with alot of emotions with a band at the back of him just like in both of All the Way to the North and Excuse MVs.
迷迭香/Rosemary - Oh I love this song so much! When I heard the sneak preview of it on Faraway's MV, I was really wow-ed by it, because Jay has never done any bossanova genre before! And I really hoped it's going to be included in the album and luckily he didn't disappoint me. To me, this song is the breakthrough of this album. Also this song reminds me of Kangta's Reminicense with the bossanova feel. And Jay's voice became so sexy during the opening of the song and I like the lazy way of him singing the whole song. I really hope he could do more experiments of different genres of music because I felt that it's a success composing this song.
菊花台/Chrysanthemum's Flower Bed - I was very suprised with the introduction of the song, which I totally love it. He blended the violins, strings and drums very well. And later in the verse, the guitar and zither came in where I can picture the scenes of those chinese swordsman drama. This is the ending theme of 'Curse of the Golden Flower' where I think it suits pretty well though the movie is not out yet. Of course the next highlight of the song is the difference in Jay's singing. His pronunciation is very clear and it shows the versatility of his voice.
Actually I knew this album is definitely better than November's Chopin after hearing Twilight's Chapter Seven and a little sneak preview of Rosemary in Faraway's movie version MV. I really wish that Twilight's Chapter Seven would be the title song of this album, because that song will represent Jay much more than Faraway. But well its Fei Yu Qing dueting with Jay so well he has to highlight him.
The only disappointment is that the ballads in the album is not very special. But they are still worth listening. I didn't find myself skipping to any songs after listening to the album countless of times since yesterday. Though this album is not his best, I think the songs can still wear out your CD player for a few months.
Profile
Name: Christine Wong
(Friendster / Multiply)
Birthdate: 21 June 1985
Wishlist
Dress
Gucci wallet
Taiwan trip
Gladiator sandals
Blogs I Read
Arron Yan
Belmain
Bonita
Calvin Chen
Christine
Cindy
Danson Tang
Gary Gao
Show Luo
Janice
Jinglun
Jiro Wang
Leann
Massi
Nicole
Qiuyi
Wenmei
Wu Zun
Xiao Gui
Xiuling
Links
Wu Zun.com
Wu Zun @ Soompi
Kangta @ Soompi
KangtaForever
Oh! My Kangta
JC.Net
Gsmarena
Miniclip
Archives
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
Tagboard
Blog Versions
Current Desktop
Best Viewed
Res: 1280*1024
Internet Explorer 6.0